10 small mistakes businesses make that can cost them big
When you are trying to grow your business, legal issues can be daunting and easy to turn a blind eye to. Unfortunately, when it comes to the law, sometimes it is the small mistakes that can cost you big. Luckily, many of these small mistakes have easy and cheap (sometimes even free) fixes.
Here are 10 small mistakes that I frequently see small businesses make. In subsequent posts, I will talk about the easy and cheap fixes that can keep you out of trouble.
- Not acting like the entity they are supposed to be (ie LLC, corporation, non-profit etc).
- Not using contracts when providing professional services to clients.
- Not using contracts when working with contractors.
- Not using an email service when sending commercial solicitations
- Not following Payment Card Industry ("PCI") guidelines when accepting credit cards for payment.
- Not taking steps to protect trademarks and other brand assets.
- Infringing on intellectual property of others.
- Hiring employees when should be using contractors.
- Not properly staking digital domain territory early.
- Not using good risk management practices and documents for web and social media presence.
Remember, stay tuned for more blog posts on this topic including quick, easy, (painless) and cheap fixes for these problems. Talk to you soon.